Saturday, December 19, 2015

Cities in Comparisson - 6th Story of Desember series

Makassar - Seattle - Minneapolis - Surabaya - Malang

These are cities that I have lived for over 1 or 2 years (Malang still less than 1 year though). And wow! I think I have enough. Although, if only if, I meet someone who will become my husband, and he is stationed somewhere else, I will deliberately follow. But, from my own will? Makassar will be my city to settle down.

Minneapolis
Makassar and Minneapolis are always home. Yes, that Minneapolis. That minty Minneapolis which winter is too cruel to be true, but there's something about the city that made half of myself was left there. Seattle and Surabaya have similar effect on me. Both cities are big cities and I claimed myself not a big city girl. I enjoyed living there with all the hedonism; however, I struggled a bit at first for both cities. I adapted well in the end and was a bit sad when I needed to leave.
Maybe because I grew up in not so big city (at that time); thus, Malang is more suitable. This city actually has many elements that are suitable for me. The air is cooler, surrounded by mountains, many cute local coffee shops, and less malls :). I love the sun rise and sun sets. Those mountains are really playing a big deal. I am still an island kid in the heart. I miss salty damped air, I miss the sands, the waives, I miss the beach. But, cooler air? I definitely go for it.

Malang



My experience is not so extraordinary. I have met people who have lived abroad longer than I do. I only lived alone for about 7 years (with 1 and a half year in Makassar). However, I think I have enough. Hahaha. I think I have enough experience. I have no intention to move again.

Seattle
Talking about comparisons and favorites, I have things that I like in each cities. Obviously Seattle is the prettiest city. It has hilly roads, water front, many shops and asian food. I like the neighbourhood as well. Minneapolis on the other side was a bit dry haha and yes boring. The buildings are old and a bit sad; but colors of nature add it all. Every season is beautiful. Even the coldest winter. Snow all over the places, Christmas lights are out, it was truly a winter in wonderland. But, my favorite is Fall! Trees between the Mississippi rivers are so loveable. You can't just never get enough of Fall in Minnesota. I believe Still water is beautiful as well in Fall.


Surabaya is better compared to Jakarta in almost every aspect. The business wise, shopping wise, even the city wise. People are pretty nice, and it is so cleeeannn if you get what I mean. Indonesia has a problem with waste management, but this city is truthfully deserved to be called the cleanest city. It has parks everywhere too. Kudos for those.
Malang reminds me of Makassar 10 years ago hahahahaha. It also reminds me of Bandung. It has similar ambience. Mountains, cold, rains, and cute little cafes. Also, it reminds me of Minneapolis somehow haha. It has many old buildings, everywhere is almost walking distance. I walked a lot in here. I went to church for 20 minutes walk, went to the mall for grocery shopping for about 15 minutes walk. I walked to work of course.
Makassar. Now, it is growing. It is pretty crowded nowadays. Many hang out places. But, one thing that makes me love the city. Simply it is my home.
"Di mana-mana, rumah itu lebih baik" 








Home is always better
Don't you agree?

I can't wait for going home this Christmas. Gassing and Echong ! wait for mommy

CVB

No comments:

Post a Comment