Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Changes in me after 7 years living solo - Story number 7, December series

I only have been living by myself for about 7 years now. Not too long compared to people I knew. However, I definitely feel changes within myself. I am not saying that this is good for many, but it is indeed a good one for me. Let me refresh my background a bit. I grew up as a single daughter who owns a maid (which is normal for Indonesian family). My house is generally big. I was barely doing any house chores during my school time. I spent more time on extra courses just like other Indonesian kids (around me of course).
In 2008, I was sent to Seattle for studying. Still, I lived with a host family for 2 and half years, but I started doing my own laundry, vacuumed my room, changed my bed sheet, and did little groceries for myself. Then now, started from 2013, I worked in another city, cooked for myself, paid some bills, and did all the maintenance on my own. I only rented a room, but the house I lived is quiet spacious with two communal kitchens and fridges. I paid my own electricities and did all the groceries.
So, what changes I've got aside from doing my laundry and change bed sheet of course?

1. I hate to eat alone outside.
Been a fan before, but now I hate it. I prefer to eat alone at my room watching Korean drama.

2. Catch on Details.
Living alone increases silence. However, my mind is sometimes busier. Everything is processed there; what to do, what people do, how they reach, butterflies flying earnestly every morning, how people react, the way they speak, I can catch on those things.

3. Planning, planning, planning.
Everything is planned before, from what I want to eat, how to get it, what I want to do in the next three weeks.
It is for the sake of time efficiency. Cant live without my planner. Though, I admit it that I sometimes not doing anything 100%, there were some modifications in the end. haha.

4. In contrast, I also am flexible.
I always have plan A, B, or C. if this is not working, there will be plan B. Maybe because all things are decided by me and done by me, so that way I am more flexible. Even in the group too. I know that it was not all about me, so I can blend in the group if I should; though, I can also go on my on.

5. Decision and Intuition.
Many decisions are coming out of intuition. Not saying that I am not using logic here, but oh that intuition is playing a big time, and it is easier to follow intuition when you live alone. I have no one to discuss immediately.

6. Me time is OK, but not so significantly good anymore haha ( Am I sound too old here). Too much me time is not a treasure anymore.

7. But oh yeah, having a hard time to go on a group which is purposeless. If they are asked; where to eat? the answer will be "up to you" and we ended up spending 1 hour talking less about the plan. I'd rather make an excuse and going home.

8. Not hesitate to go wherever I want to go. I only need to carry myself out and my wallet. Oh I wear my backpack to go grocerying btw. When I lived alone in Makassar, I was depended on driver's schedule, mom's schedule, and every other thing. Now, since I live alone, I can go wherever I want, I can decide whether I want to walk or drive. Not depending on anything. If it is sunny, walking. If it is raining, sleeping. as simple as that :)

9. Money organizer. Budgeting and budgeting. I am not the typical who's tight on budget or strain myself. I admit myself as a spender too. But, I always manage to live even for the last days of the month.

10. Living solo can be an advantage,it can contribute some negativities of course. The most negative thing of all, I become pickier to the people I hang out with. Looked as a loner. But, I am so blessed that I have had so many opportunities. Living alone of course increasing creativities and more independent.
The best outcome I got from living solo is I can hear myself more, I can see world on small trivia things, I can sense things differently. It is not working the same way with other people of course, but that's how it works for me.

Never afraid to live alone, you won't die. Sometime it will pull out some of your best and balance you out. You might be talkative before, and you could be someone who could listen to in the end. I am grateful of what is happening in my life. I think that is always the most important thing.

Be grateful.

CVB

No comments:

Post a Comment