Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Practical Living for a Solo Soul - How to deal with loneliness and homesickness

Heylo..

Here I am back again with the long-named-series. This is the second episode of the series. Living alone, or solo always stumbling upon these two issues. Loneliness and Homesickness, depending on the duration of your status living alone. If you are the first timer, usually homesickness and loneliness come together like a combo. Most of the time, only homesickness since you are excited making new friends for the first few months. For the veterans; those who have been living up to 10 years by themselves, maybe.. once in a while, they will feel lonely without realizing it. For my case, I still feel these two. Intertwining. Especially when I lived in Surabaya. Funny eh? Because, I could not recall if I was really lonely or homesick when I was in the US. I think, it was only the first year when I was in Seattle. New environment. That's it. However when I am in Surabaya and Malang, once in a while, here and there, I still feel lonely or homesick. Anyway, let's dig in into things that probably can help you to deal with these two 'sickness'

First thing first, always knowing yourself first. Whether you are actually an introvert or extrovert ones. Perhaps, you can be both... sometimes you are outgoing, and some other times you need your quality me time. For the extrovert case, mostly they are OK. Because they often feel lonely when they are not doing anything, but they immediately reach out friends so they basically can deal with loneliness well. However, they especially lonely at nights actually.
While the introverts are looked fine at home alone. Nevertheless, this is actually the dangerous part. Since the introverts don't really realize that they are feeling lonely. They shut themselves at room, and by the time goes, they actually nearly depressed. People! You need to meet up!
So... what is the solution?

Everything needs B.A.L.A.N.C.E. and you should find a community Whether you are a an extrovert or introvert. A community is good. Starts from there. I am totally aware that introverts sometimes feel better at home, but they still need people. :) Starts with the common interest, whether it is religious, work-related, school clubs, or game community. With community, you start to converse, you are releasing your bottled up energy. You will find one or two persons who have similar common sense with you, make friends. People; how individualistic they are, they still need interaction.
Next, Call Your PARENTS! or family. Have you heard cases that people who firstly are not really closed with their family, finally getting closer when they are away? Yep! It is true. It happens to me, my cousin, and some of my friends. I personally feel much better after talk to my dad.

Now, dealing with homesickness.
For me, I learn to cook food that I like to eat at home. I learn how to make Mie Goreng Kanton *Chinese Makassar specialties. It helps. Food is one thing that is easily making you feel like at home. Other thing, reminiscing by turning on your family Sunday tunes, or what you and your friends would listen while on a drive. I also re-watch my family favorite movies; The Sound of Music, Lion King, and Sr. Act 2.

Also, you could just walk out and wander around. Maybe chillin at a grocery store, strollin a long your neighborhood, or listen to songs while walking around. It helps to clear your mind. And be strong :). Just remember that you always have a home to come back. The home will never move away, still there, and always welcome you back... :)





CVB

No comments:

Post a Comment