Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Practical Living for Solo soul - Grocery edition

Hola, to commemorate the 7th year I live by myself , I would like to introduce to you the new series...

It is called Practical Living for Solo Soul. Sorry for a long name. It will contain up to 3 posts (weekly updated) blabbering about how to survive as a person who lives alone. I have only been in my 7th year of my solo living so I can't say it is loooong enough to say that I am an experti, but I sense little changes in my habit dealing with living alone. This post might be helpful for those who starts living alone while working or studying. :) It is grocery edition!!

People who live alone have two dilemmas.
One: eating outside
Two: cooking alone.

Eating outside can be a dilemma because some places only serve a big portion of food and not to mention how many rupiahs you have to spend for food alone. It is not a casual option to have dine out every single day, so we go to option number two. Cooking! Now, this can be a dilemma as well since you are buying too much, and it is spoiled, and you just realize that you credit card bills are half for groceries. Not a pretty choice either. However, cooking always saves more and mom always says; "it is healthier"

I will divide into two main things; food (can be spoiled) and non-food (obviously not gonna be spoiled or expired any date soon).

FOOD
First thing first you have to check on your self what kind of eater you are. Do you get bored easily over the same menu? or Do you usually go for one menu for the whole week? I fall into the first category. If you are the second category, you are more saved. You can buy the whole broccoli or chicken and eating it for the whole weeks. Me? I can't. So, I will elaborate about how to grocery shopping smartly enough.

If you are a very very first timer, yes you need basics at your kitchen rack ready. Cooking oil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Only up to there for the time being. For Indonesians, additionally sweet soy sauce is the maiiiiinnn star. Don't think of any hard recipes. Simply cooking egg, fried rice will be good enough to survive.

Secondly, we go for the goods. if you are like me who likes to change menu every two or three days, and love to eat variety of menu, you can follow my tips. Thinking of the menu, is a good starts up; however, my tips is, you should buy ingredients that can be mixed and matched. There is one of the days, that I really really want to eat a particular menu, so I go for it. Instead of buying things that you think that "ah, just buy, I might need it someday" or "I might cook 'this' someday" No! It would barely happened. Your stomach sometimes can be spontaneous. So, just stick to the simpler things.

1. buy a soup package containing five different veggies in small portion. Believe me it is enough for yourself, plus, you can make 3 receipes out of it. Also saves up since you will use the whole ingredients without wasting it.



2. Always have 6 eggs maximal on your pantry unless you eat hard-boiled egg every morning like some other person that I know. Check the expiration date. my 6 eggs can survive for 6 up to 10 days depend on my preference. I limit myself up to an egg a day. Maximum 2 if I cook a bigger portion of meal.

3. Buy a reasonable size of condiments. Mothers always say that bigger is better, but that's not always the case. We only live by ourselves. Condiments have expiration dates. Unless, you are cooking every single meal and every single day, that's another case. But, medium size condiments are always convenient. Moreover, if you are buying more ingredients other than the basic ingredients mentioned before, you better buy a smaller size since that's not gonna be used often. For instance mustard or mayonnaise, I guess we will not use that daily. Believe me, it is cheaper and efficient that way. You will not waste anything.

4. CALCULATING! If you have lived alone for quiet some time, you may have predicted when you will be dining out or not. Don't naively say that you'll be cooking one month long. It will never happen. So, I am suggesting you do grocery shop at least twice a month. Each grocery only buys what you are going to cook or eat. Especially vegetables and fruits. Tips! buy ingredients that can be 'mixed and matched.' Don't over-buy on anything. For example, buy only up to two or three type of fruits, limit it to the fair amount. I usually buy up to five apples plus a package of mixed fruits. Mixed fruits can be expensive but it does the same with the package mixed-vegetables. It is more saving this way. You can eat variety of fruits, but not wasting it.

5. Tips for buying bread. Bread only lasts for three days. Keep it refrigerated and heat it on the pan when you want to eat it.

6. Last source of heaven, please keep canned food and instant food for the end of the month or when you are having PMS and practically lazy dining out, lazy cooking day. LOL. I always have a canned of sardines and a small sachet of corned beef. Instant noodles up to 5 packs.

7. Aside from the mixed veggies that I have mentioned above, I sometimes want some freshness in my plate. For vegetables, I decide to purchase at the local market. It saves up significantly. Vegetables are encouraged to be bought daily. For the freshness. My tips, you just buy one or two main things for the day. Whether go for spinach, or one menu *bean sprouts and carrots stir fry for example, so you are not going to waste it. Buying in the local market sometimes a trouble. Because it offers you cheaper if you buy a lot. Again! Don't fall for that. Keeping fresh vegetables for a long run is not good. Unless veggies like carrots, eggplants, or cucumbers are ok for a long run. Nonetheless, totally not for the greens. That is my main reason why I love Korean cooking or Korean food culture. I cook the whole spinach haemul and stored in the fridge. I can eat it up to 3 or 4 times. If you don't like eating cold food, put it out in the room temperature for a while, so you can still eat the nutritious food.

8. For proteins, I always have tofu in my fridge. Mainly because I like tofu; boiled, stir fried, fried, put in the soup. Very practical and cheap. However, I also go for other type of proteins. At least store 1 type in the freezer. Don't be greedy to buy chicken and meat at the same time unless you really want to cook the whole thing.


NON-FOOD
for non food, I suggest you always buy the biggest size. Because it won't be spoiled. But, you have to calculate precisely what you should restocking now and later. Because buying them all in one go is not convenient for solo living. If you don't have car or motor cycle, bringing all full size liquid bottles are not practical. So, you have to divide what should you restock first. Kitchen stuff or Bath stuff.

I spend around Rp 500.000 a month for all the groceries and food (for cooking). It can be less than that, but I am pretty generous on food. Sometimes, I also like to buy imported ingredients; thus, it goes around that number. You may have less than that if you want. Sometimes, I only spent up to Rp200.000 for a whole month if I only buy essential things.

Another tips; just use one medium or small size of shopping basket. So, you won't end up buying other un-important or un-urgent things.

Here is to sum up the points:
1. Don't be greedy!
2. Think of the present! Mostly, because you never know what your mood in the next day, or next week. So, just buy what you need in a week or two *depending on the busy days you have
3. Spend more time in calculating. Making sure that you include your busy days, so you know what to prepare.

Happy grocery shopping!!!!

my grocery the first week of September

No comments:

Post a Comment