Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reading is a new Black, and Writing is a Therapy

If you ever been asked a question; "what goes first, egg or chicken?" the thought of it, is already confusing. Just like when I am asking my self "writing or reading goes first." Did I love reading because I love writing? Or Did I enjoy writing because I love reading.

Reading and writing are two things that I can't live without. I have no idea which one comes first. I might have liked reading first and then enjoy writing. However, I always found exciting when I had to write an essay when I was in elementary. All in all, I can't figure out what comes first, but what I know that I love doing both. It is like complementing each other. I know how to write because I read. I want to read because I enjoy words. The more I write, the more I want to read.

Let's start with who is the one that made me read?
I can answer that my father, Enyd Blyton, J.K. Rowling, and my grand ma from my father's side who made me enjoy reading.
My father was born in 1950s when TV was not so IN on those days, when he spent a lot of days outside, under the sun, and his books. Ever, my grand pa came back from Surabaya, he brought the WHOLE LIBRARY from somebody that moved out from the country. My father was the one that finished them all. He said he probably read thousand of books. Many people would read more than him I believe; nevertheless, my dad was inspiring me to do the same. He is like a walking encyclopedia. He graduated from local university, but he looks like a student who studied abroad. He has so much knowledge but again keeps hungry of it.
Enyd Blyton and J.K. Rowling have made me love reading more. They have had too many great books. I am not saying that they are the best writer, but because I read their books in my early years, I started to enjoy reading so much.
Grand ma has contributed books in my early years New year gift make me used to reading. She would give me as a birthday gift or Christmas present. Laura Ingals, and other classic children write were introduced by her. My favorite is still Enyd Blyton in If the Moon is Blue.
My father said that my grand ma was a great story teller. She enjoyed reading until now in her 90s, she is still reading Dutch Magazines and other stuff every day :) Yes! She's the best story teller ever.

Nowadays, there are many concerns on magazines, personal blogs, or a simple conversation how reading or became literate is important. As one said, Books are the Windows of the World. Not saying if you are not reading, you are not smart, but in fact, people who read more can enhance the knowledge about culture, history, and other people's life. What's the use of it? It slowly but surely makes you to understand others. Reading keeps your imagination bright. What's the importance? To keep your brain works in balance and this leads to a healthier life and reduce the possibility of Alzheimer and other brain disease (arts.mic, 2014). Why do people look smart when they read more? It is literally able to improve your vocabularies (Elsbee.com, 2013). Also, you can travel around the world only through words.

Who is the one made me into writing?
For answering this question, I have to say it is (again) Enyd Blyton and Dee Lestari. My writing is influenced by what I read. My writing style is closed to the writer whose book I read, typically it is full of metaphor and not involving humors, more serious stuff. Too heavy sometimes. People's comment "terlalu sastra." My writing urge usually comes after I read something and feel excited about it. Short stories, novels, are something that I learn to do. I can write it as words are coming naturally, but never had a chance to finish it. Discipline is somehow neglected from my dictionary. I honestly haven't been too serious about writing short stories nor novel. However, I am still practicing in writing a prose or an article like this one. Blogging is one of a way to express my feeling, practicing my writing, and a therapy.Sometime by being melancholy, falling in love, and live alone also contribute in making me love writing. Writing is indeed a therapy.
 Furthermore, it has been published, that writing expressively can reduce the chance to be depressed, and survey said thet people who love writing proven to have a moderately low blood pressure. How does it work? James W. Pennebaker has written that when people expressively write, they take a step back and evaluate their lives. By doing so, they often find solution, or as ones said that writing is like re-telling (art.mic, 2014). Like I always feel. By doing that, you at least releasing the pressure little by little. 
  
Writing is also an art. For those who do not know how to draw, like me, writing can be a beauty. An expression can be explained amazingly in words. For example; 
Home is behind, the world ahead,
and there are many paths to tread
through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight -J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of The Ring. (Goodreads quotes)
Needs a talent to write? Maybe not. I don't think I am a talented writer. Dewi 'Dee' Lestari, Leila S. Chudori, or J.K. Rowling have been known as people who love reading. Therefore, writing can be learned. Just like me, I am learning to write in a better way.

For 2015, I am trying to make myself more discipline by publishing post regularly, in my personal blog or SIVIBI's MABOG where I post about reviews. MABOG should be up every Tuesday, weekly.  I will go back and forth with writing in English and Indonesian. I have tried my best to write perfectly. As I said, blogging is my way to practice. Thus, if you find it is not grammatically correct, I hope you can understand.
I also have set my reading goals. 30 books in 2015, I have read 20 books in 2014 (the list is here). Meaning, I have to minimally read 2 to 3 books a month. I should be able to do that, shouldn't I?.


In the end,

I write because I read, I read because I write..



#writingisart
#writingistherapeutic
#readingisanewblack
CVB

No comments:

Post a Comment